These are the best Travel Gadgets that I use as a humanitarian photographer
HyperJuice 2 External Battery Pack for MacBook / iPad / iPhone
- Keeps my laptop charged for up to 18 hours so I can edit on long flights and in the field when I have no electricity
- 2 USB charging ports that charges iPhone to full power up to 19 times.
- have traveled with one of these for 3 years -- can't imagine not having it with me on a trip
Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Charger Surge Protector
- I use this to charge multiple batteries at the same time.
- Protects my computer from power surges
- super small and lightweight
- Two USB chargers for ipad and iphone
GSI Outdoors Collapsible Java Drip
Make coffee ANYWHERE in the world with hot water
It folds up like a pancake. All you need is coffee + coffee filters
I take this on every single trip
Osprey Meridian Wheeled Luggage, 28-Inch/
Before I purchased this bag, I would go through a new checked bag nearly every year.
- Osprey bags are amazing - i've used this bag for almost 4 years and it still looks new.
fits my clothes, stands and softboxes
Has a detachable backpack you can use for day hikes
Suitcase turns into a backpack if needed
Ona Camps Bay Camera and Laptop Backpack - Smoke
- I've been traveling with a Camps Bay backpack for about 3 years
- It's my favorite travel backpack for the field
- It holds my SLR, a few lenses, harddrives and my 15" laptop
- Waxed canvas and doesn't look like a typical camera bag
- It's super comfortable
Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite Flash
- This is one of my favorite off camera lights to use in the field
- You will also need to buy the Canon Transmitter to make it fire from your SLR
- Newly designed wireless system uses 2-way radio wave communication for enhanced communication among master and slave units.
- I use the 30" Foursquare Softbox with two canon 600's
Door Stop Alarm
- Put this in any door to jam it and if someone were to break the lock and try to open the door a huge alarm goes off
- A must have travel device for women
- requires a 9v battery which you should take out while traveling
Fujifilm Instax Share Smartphone Portable Printer w/ film
- I wouldn't travel without these!! Prints my iphone photos from an app over it's own wireless signal.
- Comes with 5 packs of film - 50 photos
- As I've traveled, i've learned that it's not good to give handouts such as money to people in developing countries. Sometimes children are beat up for this by others who want to steal that money. Printing a photo of someone is a way to give a gift to a person that is only valuable to that person. Nobody is going to want a picture of another person. It's a great way to give to people without hurting them.
WD 1TB Silver My Passport for Mac
- I've used these drives for years. I buy 3 at a time. Two travel with me and one stays at home. I back up to that drive when I'm stateside. I haven't had one fail on me yet.
- Ultra-fast transfer rates with USB 3.0 interface
- 3 year limited warranty
Pelican 1010 Micro Case w/Solid Lid
- I use this to store my harddrives while traveling. it can fit up to two
- Great for those times when you are on a small boat and nervous your harddrives could get wet
- Watertight crushproof and dust proof
Field Notes 3.5"x5.5" Kraft Plain - 48 pages
- I use these all the time for taking notes in the field. I always want to have a piece of paper nearby to write down a name or jot down some information I hear from someone. These are small enough to keep in my back pocket
- Comes in a pack of 3
Think Tank Airport Takeoff Rolling Backpack
- I use this bag to carry on my heavier equipment and breeze right through airports
- Holds a TON of equipment
- It doubles as a backpack if needed
- Front lock & cable to secure laptops, with lockable sliders on main zipper
- If on a small airplane I can fit this under the seat in front of me
Profoto B1 500 AirTTL
- I've been using the B1 strobe for about a year now. It's so easy to setup quickly and use in the field.
- Light enough to travel with as a carry-on
- Cordless / Battery Powered - I can usually get through a whole day on 1 full powered battery
- Beautiful Light
Insulated Miir water Bottle
- I don't go on any trip without this
- Keeps coffee HOT for HOURS
- It keeps cold liquids cold for hours
- I can carabiner it to the outside of my bag
- Your purchase brings clean drinking water to villages in need
EO Hand Sanitizer
- Made with organic lavender essential oil....this Hand Sanitizer smells INCREDIBLE
- It doesn't feel sticky like most
- 99.9% effective against most common germs
Ultra Soft PackTowl
- Soaks up to 4x it's weight in water
- Machine wash or hand washable
- Compact and dry's fast
- Lasts years!
Mefoto Aluminium Backpacker Travel Tripod
- Weighs 2.6 pounds so it doesn't take up weight in my checked back
- It can support up to 8.8 pounds of gear
- I never feel like i'm having to lug around a huge tripod and it does the job
- Twist lock leg system for quick setup
Hammock Bliss Sleep Sack
- I love this sleep sack! There was one time I slept on wet towels in a hospital dorm room in Haiti because I brought no bedding. After that trip, a friend sent me this amazing sack to sleep in and I've brought it with me on almost every trip since.
- Soft & lightweight
- I sleep in this inside of the sleep sack inside of the hotel sheets at risky hotels.
Mini jambox by jawbone
- 10 hours of battery life
- Super small and lightweight
- Loud enough to play music for a whole village :-)
BESTEK 150W Power Inverter Car
- Converts 12-volt DC power from a vehicle battery to 110volt AC power for charging USB decices and powering small devices such as my laptop computer and charging batteries
- I've used this many times when I don't have access to electricity in a village and I need to charge equipment
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM Lens
- I would never go on any trip without this lens. I believe it's the best portrait lens out there. I love the shallow depth of field and how I can get close to my subjects with it.
- Fixed 50mm prime lens
- AF with full-time manual focus
- Weather-resistant standard lens
Pelican 0915 Black SD Memory Card Protective Case
- Holds 12 SD cards
- Water resistant hardshell case
Steve Madden Women's Troopa 2.0 Combat Boot
- I've travelled with the Steve Madden Combat Boots for about 4 years now. They've been such an affordable and durable boot. I've had to have them fixed up with stitching a glue a couple of times in Rwanda and Ethiopia.....but they are still going strong today.
- Leather and zips up on the inner boot so you can put them on quickly if you need to run out the door.
Kammok Roo Hammock
- When you need a bed in the middle of nowhere. The Kammok Roo can be put up ANYWHERE. I've hung it from beams in houses, trees, polls. It's a travel must item. Don't forget the python straps that go with it.
- I do love my coffee and if you know me, you know that I can be pretty clumsy at times. This has been so helpful in not spilling my coffee. You can just throw it on it's side and it doesn't leak. It's great for filling it up and throwing it in a bag.
- Keeps coffee hot for 7+ hours
- Lifetime Warranty
Pack & Smooch Hampshire Laptop case
- I've been using this felt laptop case for my 15" mac book pro for about 2 years. It still looks brand new. I get stopped all the time at coffee shops and on trips where someone will ask me where I got it.
- Handmade in Germany
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- The Canon 5d mk III is my main camera I shoot with. Mine has taken many many beatings and survived. Sometimes I think it's an extension of my hand when i'm shooting
- It is has a 22MP full frame sensor
- It's a bit pricey for someone who is just starting out...but sometimes it's worth the investment to get the camera that will help you get an income
Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It
- This is the best for keeping your clothes organized and compacted. I really don't like it when my clothes are all over the place. This keep your clothes in one pack together in your suitcase
- Pretty durable and made out of nylon